Kathy Tuchman Glass is a passionate educator. A former teacher, she now consults nationally with teachers and administrators at schools and districts, presents at conferences, and conducts seminars for university and county programs. She tailors and delivers professional development in areas affecting curriculum and instruction. Her professional topics include: curriculum design (including a backward design approach) aligned to the CCSS or other state or content area standards, differentiated instruction, ELA Common Core Standards, text dependent questions, close reading, varied instructional strategies, curriculum mapping, six traits of writing, and more. To help educators directly translate what she teaches into effective classroom practice that impacts students, Kathy customizes each professional development situation to meet clients' needs (e.g., presentations, lesson demonstrations, coaching, collaborative unit design, etc.). She also is the author of six books published by Corwin Press.
NATIONAL SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS and PROFESSIONAL NEWS
- Sanger Unified School District (K-12) "Unit Design Aligned to the CCSS" (Sanger, CA): June 16-19 and 23-26, 2014
- Staff Development for Educators (SDE) Grades 6-12 Conference "Writing for Argumentation," "Build & Use Text-Dependent Questions to Facilitate Close Reading" (Murfreesboro, TN): July 29-30, 2014
- Ross Valley School District lesson design coaching for ELA and social studies middle school teachers (San Anselmo, CA): August 22, 2014
- Lycée Français de San Francisco (K-12) curriculum design for ELA teachers: August 26 and November 10-12, 2014; January 17, 2015
- Sanger Unified School District (K-12) unit design coaching sessions (Sanger, CA): September 15-17, October 20-22, and October 28-30, 2014
- Fresno County Office of Education (K-12) "Curriculum Design for Opinion/Argumentation" series (Fresno, CA): October 14-17, 2014 and January 12-13, 2015
- Mercer County Schools (K-5) "Hands-On Instructional Strategies for ELA Common Core Implementation" (Princeton, WV): November 8, 2014
- Learning Forward Annual Conference presenter "Argumentation: Characteristics, Assessments and Lesson Ideas" (Nashville, TN): December 8, 2014
- Shoreline Unified School District inservice for K-5 (Pt. Reyes Station, CA): January 9 and March 6, 2015
- ASCD Annual Conference presenter "Fostering and Assessing Student Understanding of Complex Text" (Houston, TX): March 22, 2015
- Independent study courses at University of San Diego:
- WestEd SchoolsMovingUp webinars:
- Join Kathy's "Differentiated Instruction" group from School Improvement Network's on-demand professional development site PD 360 by clicking here to join for free or log in.
- Differentiated lessons on research skills; e.g., choosing search terms, narrowing search for best results, evaluating credibility of sources, etc. Joint project between Kathy Glass and Google Inc.. Click here to access these comprehensive lessons.
Copyright ©2006, Kathy Glass Educational
Consulting. All Rights Reserved.
Mapping Comprehensive Units to the English Language Arts Common Core Standards, 6-12 (Corwin Press, 2013)
Mapping Comprehensive Units to the English Language Arts Common Core Standards, K-5 (Corwin Press, 2012)
"Kathy's book is the most relevant book for teachers, administrators and policy makers as we ramp up to theimplementation of Common Core State Standards. Kathy takes the daunting task of reorganizing curriculum and assessments to the new English Language Arts standards and provides clear strategies to make the instructional shift. We all need the support and good humour Kathy inflects throughout her book as we embark on this new task in public education. It would be great if Kathy could make a personal visit to every district grappling with introducing Common Core, but since she can't be everywhere her book is a good place to start.
"Kathy's articulation of the new ELA standards coupled with templates, rubrics, samples of formative and interim task assessments are the combination of materials necessary for successful implementation. The book is useful as soon as it is in the hands of the reader."
Tracy A. Huebner, Senior Research Associate WestEd, San Francisco, CA
Lesson Design for Differentiated Instruction, Grades
4-9 (Corwin Press, 2009)
"Her intensely practical and forthright approach allows readers to immediately translate the concepts of differentiation into their real classrooms."
Modell Marlow Andersen, Dir. of Educ. Services, Hillsborough School District
Curriculum Mapping: A Step-by-Step Guide for Creating Curriculum Year Overviews (Corwin Press, 2006)
"Offering a new approach, [thisbook] is a valuable addition to the body of literature on curriculum mapping."
Constance Hill, Teacher Specialist, S. Carolina Dept. of Educ., Columbia, SC
Staff Development Guide for the Parallel Curriculum(Corwin Press, 2009)
"This guide provides clear, intelligent support for teachers and administrators to explorethepossibilities that the Parallel CurriculumModel brings to educators and students, and to translate those possibilities intoaction in theclassroom."
— Carol Ann Tomlinson, William Clay Parish Jr. Professor of Education
University of Virginia
Curriculum Design for Writing Instruction: Creating Standards-Based LessonPlans and Rubrics (Corwin Press, 2004)
"The author’s conversational style hooks and easily engages readers into the
four-step curriculum design process, well-sequenced array of design templates
and lesson models, synthesis of the six traits and writing process elements, and
integration of history, social science, and sciencecontent."
former Standards and Assessment Consultant/Coach Connections, Sunnyvale, CA