Kathy Tuchman Glass is a passionate educator. A former teacher, she now consults nationally with teachers and administrators at schools and districts, presents at conferences, and conducts seminars for university and county programs. She tailors and delivers professional development in areas affecting curriculum and instruction. Her professional topics include: curriculum design, differentiated instruction, ELA common core standards (shifts and highlights of new standards), text dependent questions, varied instructional strategies, curriculum mapping, essential understandings and guiding questions used in a backward design approach, six traits of writing, and more. To help educators directly translate what she teaches into effective classroom practice that impacts students, Kathy customizes each professional development situation to meet clients' needs (e.g., presentations, lesson demonstrations, coaching, collaborative unit design, etc.). She also is the author of five books published by Corwin Press.
NATIONAL SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS and PROFESSIONAL NEWS
- California ASCD Workshop "Mapping ELA Instructional Units with the Common Core" at Solano County Office of Education (Fairfield, CA): October 2, 2013; register here
- Corwin Institute on Implementing the Common Core presenter (Memphis, TN): October 18-19, 2012
- San Francisco-Bay Area Common Core State Standards Summit keynote and presenter (Concord, CA): October 30, 2012
- Learning Forward Annual Conference presenter "Differentiated Instruction and the Common Core" (Boston, MA): December 5, 2012
- Pawling Central School District (Pawling, NY): January 7-14, 2013
Sonoma County Office of Education 3-part series for principals on CCSS (Santa Rose, CA): January 23, February 4, and February 12, 2013
- Castro Valley Unified School District teacher in-service "Craft Text-Dependent Questions to Facilitiate Close Reading Around Complex Text": February 1, 2013
- Marin County Office of Education in-service "Craft and Incorporate Text-Dependent Questions into Your Instruction to Facilitate Close Reading of Complex Text": February 15, 2013
- Old Adobe Union School District (California) Common Core and Writing: April 1, 2013
- Pawling Central School District (Pawling, NY): May 17, 20-24, 2013
- Moraga School District (California) ELA Common Core: June 10-12, 2013
- Marin County Office of Education "Mapping and Designing Units to the ELA Common Core": June 25 & 26, 2013
- Corwin Institute on Implementing the Common Core presenter (Hope, Arkansas): July 10 & 11, 2013
- South Alabama Early Childhood Conference presenter (Ozark, AL): July 24, 2013
- Online class through Dominican University "Mapping and Designing Comprehensive Units to the ELA Common Core" - coming late Spring, 2013
- Independent study courses at University of San Diego:
- WestEd SchoolsMovingUp webinars:
Copyright ©2006, Kathy Glass Educational
Consulting. All Rights Reserved.
Mapping Comprehensive Units to the English Language Arts Common Core Standards, 6-12 (Corwin Press, 2013) - AVAILABLE IN MAY, 2013!
Mapping Comprehensive Units to the English Language Arts Common Core Standards, K-5 (Corwin Press, 2012)
"Kathy's book is the most relevant book for teachers, administrators and policy makers as we ramp up to theimplementation of Common Core State Standards. Kathy takes the daunting task of reorganizing curriculum and assessments to the new English Language Arts standards and provides clear strategies to make the instructional shift. We all need the support and good humour Kathy inflects throughout her book as we embark on this new task in public education. It would be great if Kathy could make a personal visit to every district grappling with introducing Common Core, but since she can't be everywhere her book is a good place to start.
"Kathy's articulation of the new ELA standards coupled with templates, rubrics, samples of formative and interim task assessments are the combination of materials necessary for successful implementation. The book is useful as soon as it is in the hands of the reader."
Tracy A. Huebner, Senior Research Associate WestEd, San Francisco, CA
Lesson Design for Differentiated Instruction, Grades
4-9 (Corwin Press, 2009)
"Her intensely practical and forthright approach allows readers to immediately translate the concepts of differentiation into their real classrooms."
Modell Marlow Andersen, Dir. of Educ. Services, Hillsborough School District
Curriculum Mapping: A Step-by-Step Guide for Creating Curriculum Year Overviews (Corwin Press, 2006)
"Offering a new approach, [thisbook] is a valuable addition to the body of literature on curriculum mapping."
Constance Hill, Teacher Specialist, S. Carolina Dept. of Educ., Columbia, SC
Staff Development Guide for the Parallel Curriculum(Corwin Press, 2009)
"This guide provides clear, intelligent support for teachers and administrators to explorethepossibilities that the Parallel CurriculumModel brings to educators and students, and to translate those possibilities intoaction in theclassroom."
— Carol Ann Tomlinson, William Clay Parish Jr. Professor of Education
University of Virginia
Curriculum Design for Writing Instruction: Creating Standards-Based LessonPlans and Rubrics (Corwin Press, 2004)
"The author’s conversational style hooks and easily engages readers into the
four-step curriculum design process, well-sequenced array of design templates
and lesson models, synthesis of the six traits and writing process elements, and
integration of history, social science, and sciencecontent."
former Standards and Assessment Consultant/Coach Connections, Sunnyvale, CA